It is never too early to start caring for baby's teeth and gums.
The American Dental Association offers the following suggestions:
- Even before teeth emerge, clean down baby's gums using clean gauze or a small, cool spoon.
- Using water and a toothbrush prepared for babies, start brushing teeth as soon as they poke through.
- Starting when your child reaches age 2 years, use a pea sized squeeze of toothpaste with fluoride.
- Always clean baby's pacifier before offering it.
- Don't let baby take a bottle to bed.