Healthy tips: A defect in all or some of your fingernails can signal a potentially serious medical condition.
The U.S. National Library of Medicine offer these examples:
- Hollow areas on the fingernail can signal malnourishment.
- An abnormal shape to the fingernail, with ridges and an inner curve, can signal iron deficiency anemia.
- White flecks in the nail can show leukonychia, which could be caused by factors including zinc deficiency or heavy metal poisoning.
- An abnormal color or warmth could indicate an infection, often caused by fungus or yeast.
- Streaks of blood in the nail can signal an infection, notably finishing heart valves.